How does sleep affect weight loss?
Studies have shown that inadequate sleep can lead to weight gain and trouble losing weight. In fact, a loss of sleep has been linked to how hungry a person feels the next day, among other things.
Poor quality and quantity of sleep can impact weight in a number of ways:
- Affects hormone levels, leading to an under or over-production of certain hormones, such as cortisol, leptin, ghrelin, which can interfere with normal regulation of your appetite
- Affects metabolism
- Increases preference for high-calorie foods
- Reduces self-control
- Can lead to overeating, which can cause higher blood sugar levels, increased insulin production and storage of excess body fat
What’s the connection between poor sleep and sleep apnea?
For patients who are overweight, another factor can impact your ability to get a good night’s sleep. If you are overweight, you are at a higher risk for developing obstructive sleep apnea, a sleep disorder characterized by repeated pauses in breathing during sleep due to airway obstruction. With the constant interruptions in breathing, patients with sleep apnea spend less time in deep sleep and constantly wake up feeling tired. Sleep apnea is a serious and potentially life-threatening sleep disorder and proper diagnosis and treatment are critical as part of a comprehensive plan for achieving better sleep and weight loss.
How does better sleep promote weight loss?
Getting a good night sleep has numerous benefits for weight loss, including:
- Helps keep hormone levels in check
- Reduces late-night snacking
- Boosts fat loss
- Enables you to burn more calories – both during sleep and the next day
- Helps you make healthier food choices and manage portion control throughout the day
What treatments are available to improve sleep and lose weight?
A consultation with Dr. Prabhat Soni is the first step to determining what treatments are best for your needs. His multi-specialty training and board certification in both sleep medicine and obesity medicine will ensure that you receive the best care.
Soni Medical offers numerous treatment options to help you lose weight and sleep better, including:
- Weight loss programs
- Bariatric surgery alternatives, including FDA-approved weight loss medications and Lipovicine injections to boost metabolism
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy
- Smoking cessation treatments
If you are struggling to get the restorative sleep you need to function at your best, weight loss may be a key component in helping you reach your goals. Dr. Prabhat Soni has devoted much of his career to helping his patients sleep better and lose weight. Schedule an appointment today to learn how you can get the restful sleep you deserve to lead a healthier life.